Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Knowing God- Review


I have recently ran into a couple other people as I was in the process of reading J.I. Packer's Knowing God. The response was the same on both occasions... "that is a heavy read." And I must admit it took some time and some slow pondering. But it was well worth it. I believe Packer admittedly set out for it to be a theological work, but it ended up being a contemporary classic Christian work that draws many closer to God. My favorite element of this book is how its whole aim is to keep the main thing at the center... knowing God.

Each chapter can stand alone as a theological piece but as each chapter unfolds a different element of God, they all work together to draw you nearer to the living God. I must say that this book challenged me. It humbled me and drew out my sins. It corrected a couple misconstrued notions, and ultimately helped me to know God better.
I highly recommend this book. Read it slowly. Get the journal. Devore this and let it change you.

No comments: