Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Level Ground at the Foot of the Cross

So, why did John the baptist prepare the way? To make it a level playing field. It didn't matter what background an individual was from. All have sinned and need to repent. Anyone from pharisees to prostitutes. The super religious to those that are the polar opposite of religious, and everything inbetween. "God can raise up children for Abraham from these rocks," John said... And I am a rock. Praise God for His grace. 

As I was sitting at Beef-a-Roo eating my lunch today. Three college age kids were a few tables down and talking loud enough that I could clearly hear them. Their conversation had to do with dancing on the counter top at the bar recently and how cool it was that one particular place stayed open until 6am and then reopened at 10am. One of the guys said that he could function on only a few hours of sleep and head back to the bar.

Here is the reality of the situation... I am the same as them. A youth pastor and 3 college age people sitting at a restaurant. We all have sin. We all make mistakes that offend God and our only hope is a Roman tool of execution. I need the cross just like they do. I need it everyday including today. It doesn't matter that I wasn't at the bar with them dancing I still have sin and I still have no solution for it other that an old rugged cross. Jesus paid for my sin and he will pay for theirs too if they will accept it. 

It is level ground at the foot of the cross. At the foot of the cross you will find humble religious leaders and you will find drunks and prostitutes and tax collectors. You will find the down and out and you will find the well to do. But you will never find someone that has earned their favor with God with their own abilities. You might find people standing with their back to the cross scoffing at us lowly people kneeling but they hardly know Jesus. At least, not like they should. Jesus does not admire the proud. He knows we are fragile and sinful creatures and He is our remedy and our comforter.

No comments: