Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thank You Carson

I just listened to D. A. Carson address a group of graduating Bible students with a message called "The First Thing To Do in Your Ministry." Carson has been a recent God send for me. His books are extremely soaked in biblical wisdom. He knows his stuff and listening to and reading Carson's material has been good for my soul.

When I listened to this address available here I was so encouraged.  

The text he unfolds for the present graduates and future evangelicals is Deut. 17:14-20. It is God's command to the Israelites for choosing their leader once they enter the land that God will provide. Carson reasons that there are parallels from that text that can be applied to anyone going into a ministry leadership role. So I tuned in to see how many I actually line up with.

1. Make sure it the man that God chooses.
2. He must be an Israelite (I'm assuming this can mean born again Christian in our context)
The above two I added just by looking at the text. The points below are the ones that Carson presented.
3. Don't acquire horses.(hehehe)
The point behind the acquiring of horses was to show the power of the king. The more horses, the more power. God warns us against trying to leverage our position to gain more and more power or acclaim. This is a real tension in ministry. How do you keep yourself humble? It is  struggle that all leaders face. Even the disciples struggled with this. James and John's mother asked Jesus if one son could sit on His right and the other on His left when He came into His Kingdom. We need to follow the leadership of Jesus. With a servant leadership that humbly leads the people. Verse 20 of Deuteronomy 17 says it this way; "[do not] consider yourself better than your brothers." Serve with humility. Make it your ambition to humbly accept the position God has placed you in and don't try to climb the success ladder if that is not God's plan for you.
4. Don't take many wives
The concept here is that kings could network by marrying into different families. Avoid letting your allegiances spread too thin. (I couldn't hear this portion very well. The audio was pretty sketchy) I believe it is a good idea to let your commitment be to the Gospel alone. To let that be what you are wed to and avoid other passions that take your commitment away from the gospel. "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Cor 2:2). Let your passion be singular; Jesus Christ.
5. Don't accumulate large amounts of silver or gold
This should be a given. Carson says,"your heart follows your treasure." Let your treasure be God and your portion Himself. Do not strive after what the world strives for.
6. Write for yourself on a scroll a copy of the law. Keep it close and read it all the days of your life so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God and follow carefully all the words of the Law and decrees. (This is my fave!)
Our job as pastor, leaders, teachers it be obedient to the Word. We need to take the Word and copy it. Take it in its original language and re write it. I don't know how literally to take this but the concept is obviously pure and good. Understand and know the Word of God. Keep it close and read and reread and read and reread. This is the role of the christian leader. To know the law. "Then,  he and his descendants will reign a long time over his kingdom in Israel" (vs. 20b). God will bless those that keep near to Him and revere Him and obey Him. We are to be students of the Bible. Completely mastered by it. 

Wow! What a great message. It is encouraging and confirms the strategy that God has laid before me. 

God help me be faithful in leadership. Help me to be humble. Help me to have a singular passion for you and your fame. Help me to be faithful to the Word. Completely mastered by it and in complete submission to it. Help me to faithfully lead the students that you have blessed me with. Help me to be the leader you desire me to be. Amen

No comments: