Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Don't Miss Christmas

I am not talking about the deals or the actual date... I am talking about missing the point. When I was living in Florida my first year down there I missed my birthday. It was sad. All my friends worked at the same place and they had a mandatory staff meeting on my birthday. I spent my whole birthday night waiting for my friends and I missed it.

In the Christmas story found in Matthew 2 the chief priests and the teachers of the law missed the arrival of Jesus. As I was reading that chapter this week I noticed that they quoted scripture and pointed out where the messiah would be but they didn't go see him. And as I observe Christmas for my 26th time, we do the same thing. We can spout out the Christmas story without missing a beat. We can quote some of the verses from Luke 2 or Matthew 2 (probably not word for word). But, we are like the chief priests and the teachers of the law that are unaffected by the birth of Jesus.

Then the story lends us some characters that we should emulate. The magi. They make the trek to the little village to see Jesus and God leads their way by lighting up the sky with a star that guides them. So, they find the place where the King of the world lies swaddled and they fall down on their faces and worship. They give Him gifts.... read again... they give Him gifts. Christmas is not about what you are going to get. Again I am 26 and for 25 going to be 26 Christmases I have been primarily consumed with this thought, 'what am I getting for presents?' That is sad that one of the most important days in history has some how been manipulated into an occasion to celebrate me. When really we should be recognizing that the gift that cannot be outdone was given 2000 years ago and we should be giving our gifts and thanks and praise to Him. So the magi do three things that we should do this year. 1)They make the trek to be near to God. 2) They worship. and 3) They give. Are you doing those? 

Do whatever it takes to be near to God. Make the journey to church or to a quiet retreat where you can be with Him. Make it happen. Be with Him on His birthday. 

Worship Him. When everyone else is worshiping food or presents or family take a moment or two on his birthday to celebrate him. Just get alone and say to him, 'if all these things went away (toys, gifts, decorations, family, health, etc) I would still worship you. You are my treasure. You are the Gift.'

Give. Maybe financially you should give a gift to church or to an organization that glorifies God. But maybe your best gift you could give Jesus is you. Completely surrender to him. Give him your time. Give him your attention. Give him your devotion.

I sat there lonely wishing my friends were with me on my birthday. But, imagine how Jesus feels every Christmas as he looks down on you and me. We are too busy with all of our commitments and all of our shopping and all of our cooking. But wait... it is his day. Shouldn't he set the priorities? I am sure he would want us to take a breath and spend time with him on His birthday. Lets not miss it this year. 

No comments: