Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

I'm Not The Fun Police

I was talking with people that are closest to me as they read about CSM's distinctives and I asked them about their thoughts. I asked if it sounded like I am harsh or abrasive or lame and they pointed out that I made a living off of being fun for years.

What I took from the conversation was that those that know me best will not be surprised by my strategy but they also know the background that it is laid against.

For going on 6 years I have participated in a ministry called Operation 12. The concept behind op12 is to use action sports(skateboarding, wakeboarding, and snowboarding) to reach a culture of individuals that the church has a hard time engaging. So, for the past 5 years I have had the joy and privilege of travelling from city to city, more or less, playing and then preaching. Honestly, it is the coolest job on the planet. Imagine being a rock star christian that everyone celebrates as we march into a city to conduct a stellar demonstration and outreach. Churches write huge checks to have us conduct an outreach and we are booked a year in advance...

But, the typical church camp results kept making me sick to my stomach. Sure students get excited when a team of athletes show up and rock the place and share their testimony but the week after we leave what is in place to keep students from falling away? I still believe in the evangelistic aspect of the ministry I just wanted to make sure that I personally was doing more than just 'drive by' preaching.

That is where my desire to be a part of the Church came from. I want to make a lasting change. I believe that that will happen over time with a group that I can say week in and out, "follow me."

So, when I talk about the seriousness of the faith don't think that I am some orthodox boring dry person that wishes that I was at a church with pews. I lived in a tent man. I surf and skate and show up late to meetings and stay up late and sleep in and play video games with friends. I wish I was a pro skateboarder and I like to be silly. But, when it comes to youth group there is a seriousness that drives me... Eternity is at stake. There cannot be a more serious calling. I am not saying that to be a christian you have to be lame, I just think that we should take God a little more serious. Can I get an amen?

No comments: