Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Walk With God

How do you keep from getting jaded? I'll be honest being elevated to the status of Pastor is one of the most unique and special things that I have been called to. In the words of D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones; 
[it] is the highest and the greatest and most glorious calling to which anyone can ever be called.... [it] is the most urgent need in the Christian Church today; and as it is the greatest and the most urgent need in the Church, it is obviously the greatest need of the world also.- Preaching and Preachers pg. 9
The Christians Ministry is a heavy calling. And, as I realize more and more the weight of my calling(the most important job in the world according to Lloyd-Jones) I am forced to employ every resource available to me to achieve the end to which I am called. I do not want to be a lazy worker. I do not want to peddle the word of God for a profit, either monetary or popularity. My aim to which I strive every day is a commission that Paul gave his apprentice Timmy, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)" In the King James it says to study... Do your best; study. So that is what I do. I dive into books and commentaries and the bible in hopes that I will know and understand the bible which is a mystery because I am seeing that there are so many paradoxes and so many people shipwreck their faith and their congregation because of a misunderstanding or a misappropriation of the word of truth. So, I study and study and study. It also says, rightly handles or divides the Word of Truth. So there is a right way to handle the word. There is a way in the words of John MacArthur, 'to cut a straight line through the bible.' So to that end, I am trying to handle the word of truth to be presented before the King a worker that needs not be ashamed. Not a run of the mill 9 to 5 I got myself into. And, many would say, 'you are taking this too seriously.' Which I believe is the reason why so many churches are dead. They fail to take seriously the most serious Deity there is.

All of the above was an attempt to help you see this point that I think applies to each of us; In my opinion it is rather easy to become jaded when you put that sort of effort into your faith. Sure I could become jaded because I am a pastor but the danger falls on you as well. The danger is that it is easy to become a pharisee. To have a knowledge of God but no relationship. That is a scary thing. We each can read the bible and not experience God. It can be a duty. We can read Christian authors and never encounter God. So, what is the remedy? I believe the remedy is found in the life of Enoch in chapter 5 of Genesis. He walked with God. He was a man that lived and walked and loved and worked with God by his side. He had a relationship with the Almighty that resulted in God 'taking him away.' Literally the bible says that Enoch, 'was no more because God took him away.' I want a relationship with God like that. One that results in the blessing of seeing God. Going to be with God. Getting to look on His glory. So, I have to ask myself, and you my friend, are you walking with God? When is the last time that you spent with Him? Not praying, not having a quiet time, not reading about Him in the bible. But actually with Him. But Cory! How do I walk with Him if not in my 15 minute quiet time? 

Have a date. Block off a day with God. Spend some time with Him. During this time you can read, pray, meditate, but more than anything realize that the end to which you are striving is Him. Try to engage the Almighty. There is a reason why He calls the church His bride. Intimacy. Are you known by and knowing God? Are you intimate? Let's try to achieve this today. A walk with God. 


No comments: