Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Whatcha Readin'?

During the holidays we have decided to take a break from youth group to give our volunteers a much needed and deserved break... With a couple sermons already written I am taking this time to read some great books. Here they are:

The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges
This book was written as a response to the question, 'what makes ministers ineffective?' It is very convicting and concise. I am being challenged in a good way and have only made it through the first of five parts so far.

Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
This is a collection of essays on preaching the Word... What a great encourager for pastors to stay faithful to their primary role of preaching. I will have more to say on this book later.

The Mortification of Sin by John Owen
I never knew much about this important discipline of our faith... putting to death the deeds of the flesh. I recently preached on 'Killing Ninjas' and it was my first time that I ever really put much thought into the need to either destroy your sin or be destroyed by it. I think the American Church is in need of more Christians that are willing to talk about seriously putting to death their sins.

The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
This book is packed with a wealth of God glorifying information. I heard several sermons that R.C. Sproul delivered on Holiness and it peeked my interest. The book is phenomenal. We need more people painting a gloriously holy and accurate picture of God.

These books have been nourishing my soul. I am indebted to the authors for their diligence of making plain the mysteries of God. I recommend all of these books to you.

No comments: