Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fighting Sensory Adaptation

Your body was created to experience stimuli... Touch, smell, sight, sound, and taste. And every experience will illicit stimulation... But there is an enemy to stimulation and its title is sensory adaptation.

I love pizza. I get a slice from Art of Pizza in Chicago every time I have the chance. But, if for some reason I have it for lunch and then dinner and then an offer is made to have it again, the thought of the pizza diminishes with the amount of times I have it. That is a small example of the effect of sensory adaptation. You become familiar and the stimulus decreases.

Why am I bringing this up? It is Christmas Eve and most of us have experienced many Christmases. It can become routine just like many things in life can... and we have to fight to not grow tired of looking on Christ.

Thank God that Christ is so magnificent that you could exhaust your life exploring His riches and you will never find an end. But, on this Christmas I worry that you look at the same angle of Him and you hear the same words spoken and it is almost boring (if that were even possible). Work tomorrow to see a little more of Jesus than usual. Have your quiet time. I am praying that you not neglect it with all your busy commitments. But, pray that God would show you his face. That is what Moses prayed and he got to see the hind quarters of God.... Or pray that you would ascend mount Sinai and bask in the radiance of God. I hope that Jesus is not routine but that your affections and excitement would overflow! Praise Jesus for his unsearchable riches. We will spend eternity reveling in His majesty and it will never grow old!

No comments: